You don’t have to do this alone. As your doula I offer affordable, tailored care, advocacy and support, so you can stay focused on birthing.
Birth is beautiful. And rocky and hard. And exhilarating. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast and sometimes even orgasmic. It can take many paths and no two journeys will look or feel quite the same. Having trained and served as a midwife and now doula, my heart has lead me to look beyond the ‘appearance’ of birth, to the deeper currents. I recognize that more important than having a home vs. hospital birth, a birth with epidural or without, a vaginal birth or cesarean birth, is the reality of how a mother felt cared for during her birthing experience. Leaving the medical care of midwifery behind me, as a doula I am able to deeply focus on the forming family, the new mother and father and child-to-be.
This is why I am a doula.
As a doula, you will find me at your back, massaging, offering you hip squeezes, whispering encouragement. When you feel that you need a change, I am always there willing to offer suggestions that could increase your comfort, help you progress or facilitate an inner experience of groundedness and focus. If a mother has been clear that she wishes to use pain medications, I am there to help the process go more smoothly and provide positional support to help continued labor progress.
I have a passion for working with dads and birthing partners. Please ask me about the many wonderful ways that fathers and birth partners can feel and be an integral part of the birth experience. I often have client couples who confide that they hire me as much for the dad’s or birth partner’s sense of peace, safety and comfort as the mothers. Many fathers and birth partners have a strong desire to be emotionally available to the birthing mother. Trying to do that and Doula in an entirely new experience is very challenging.
You don’t have to go it alone! Get a doula!
See here for my professional credentials.
Check out my affordable packages. Call me if you want something else and we can discuss a tailored match!
As your Birth Doula I will:
- Recognize birth as a key experience for the mother in labor, her baby and the entire family
- Utilize my extensive experience with birth to offer unwavering, holistic, sensitive encouragement and support
- Help you assess where you are in your labor and whether its time to prepare for your baby’s birth, be that be at home or hospital
- Assist you in preparing for and carrying out your plans for birth
- Offer resources and support in preparing a birth plan, if desired
- Stay with you throughout the labor and after the birth until at least 1 hour after the birth
- Provide strong emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint
- Help you get the information you need to make informed decisions before and during labor
- Facilitate communication between you, your partner and your clinical care providers
- Fulfill my role as unobtrusive protector and nurturer of your birthing experience
- Respect your partner and help him or her participate at their own comfort level
- Support you as a helpful resource throughout your pregnancy and into your postpartum
As Your Birth Doula, I Will Not:
- Make decisions for you
- Tell you that there is a right way and wrong way to birth (We are all individuals, therefore each birth reflects the unique needs of a mama and her baby and that is wonderful!)
- Act as your primary care provider (I am a certified midwife, however, my relationship with doula clients is strictly one of informational and labor support and not medical care)
- Speak on your behalf to medical personnel (although I will remind you and your partner to ask questions and speak up, and I will check in with you and/or your care provider to make sure we are following your birth plan to the greatest of our abilities)
- Replace or interfere with Dad or your Partner (I am happy to be background and facilitate the easeful involvement loved ones to the level that you desire)
- Lose focus on you after the baby is born (Postpartum is so important! Even after our closing postpartum visit I remain your resource!)